Butler shoots well in 92-80 home win over Northwest Tech

Action photo from Butler men's basketball vs Northwest Tech.

The Butler men snapped a three-game losing streak, defeating Northwest Kansas Tech 92-80 on Wednesday at the Power Plant.

In the final game of the first semester, the Grizzlies used a strong shooting effort – both from the floor and the free throw line – to take control of the contest midway through the first half and held the Mavericks at bay the rest of the way.

Butler shot 45 percent from the field, making 29 of 64 shots. The Grizzlies were also 27-36 at the free throw line for 75 percent. That is the most free throws Butler has made in a game this season and is the second-highest percentage of the season. Butler went 8-9 at the line for 88.9 percent against Bethel JV on Nov. 10. 

The Grizzlies started the game 6-6 at the line before Jon'il Fugett missed the second of two shots with 12:18 left in the first half. By that point, Butler had taken a 16-11 lead. Immanuel Allen rebounded that free throw miss and stuck the ball back in the hoop. Allen would come up with a steal and a dunk moments later, and Butler led 20-11 with 11:55 left in the first half.

Later in the half, Butler would get back-to-back 3-pointers from Fugett and Sam Ward and the Grizzlies led 40-24 with 4:14 left. The Grizzlies went into halftime with a 48-37 lead.

Northwest Tech would get no closer than seven points in the second half. Kamron Brice would get hot, going 4-7 from 3-point range and scoring 16 of his team-high 20 points.

Brice was one of four Grizzlies in double digits. Allen had 18 points, while Fugett and Daviyon Dennis had 12 apiece. Tyrone Coley had nine points and seven rebounds, meaning Butler was one point from putting all five starters in double figures.

The Grizzlies improve to 9-5 on the season, while at 2-3 in Jayhawk Conference play. Butler is now off until Jan. 5, when Butler travels to Barton. It will be a month before Butler plays again at home, facing Garden City on Jan. 12.