The Butler women's track and field team had three first-place finishes and five runner-up placings during Saturday's Ev Kohls Grizzly Classic at BG Products Veterans Sports Complex.
Sophomore Valeriya Kostiuk won the high jump event, clearing 1.69 meters (5' 6 1/2") on her third attempt, while freshman Irine Jepkemboi took top honors in the 10,000-meter run with a time of 48:52.46.
Taking runner-up honors was sophomore Janie Salinas (3,000-meter steeplechase, 13:29.51), freshman Jayne Roberts (pole vault, 3.20 meters), freshman Julianna Horner (shot put, 12.34 meters) and freshman Jessica Finney (5,000-meter run, 22:49.58).
Other Grizzly places at the Kohls Grizzly Classic were:
- 200-meter dash: Tashoy Blake (25.18, 5th)
- 800-meter run: Jade Searles (2:23.56, 5th), Roshae Burrell (2:25.19, 8th)
- 3,000m steeplechase: Darian Trost (14:02.67, 4th)
- 5,000-meter run: Alex Fulton (23:36.93, 3rd)
- 400-meter hurdles: Javonda Peagler (1:05.45, 3rd)
- Discus: Peyton Brower (43.31m, 5th)
- High jump: Jalicia Neil (1.59m, 3rd)
- Shot put: Dejah Erskine (11.36m, 7th)
Next up for the Grizzlies will be the K.T. Woodman Classic at Wichita State University. A distance carnival along with the javelin event begins Friday at 6:00 p.m. at Cessna Stadium. On Saturday, running events open with the 10,000-meter run at 10:30 a.m., while field events begin at 11:00 a.m.