The Butler men's 4x100-meter relay team of Kyandre Lyons, Tavarius Wright, Steven Simmons and Travis Collins qualified for Saturday's finals during Thursday's opening day of the NJCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships at BG Products Veterans Sports Complex.
Butler's relay team had the seventh-best time of 40.21 seconds to advance to the finals.
After completing five of 10 events in the decathlon, sophomore Lewis Cain is in seventh place with 3,271 points. Cain's top performance came in the long jump, as he finished fifth with a leap of 6.58 meters (21'-7 1/4").
The Grizzlies missed out on Saturday's finals in two events (400-meter hurdles, 4x800-meter relay), finishing ninth in both races. Freshman Ronaldo Griffith had a time of 52.57 seconds in the 400m hurdles, while the 4x800m relay team of Terrance Mayes, Madison Edwards, Jakob Taylor and Derrick Reid crossed the line at 7:50.89.
With five events scored, Region VI champion Barton sits in first place after the first day with 30 points, while South Plaints (TX) is right behind the Cougars with 29.5 points. Cloud County and Iowa Central are tied for third with 21 points, while Coffeyville is fifth with 15 points.
Cain will finish the decathlon on Friday, beginning at 9:00 a.m. with the 110-meter hurdle event. Field events will begin at 11:00 a.m., while track events get underway at 1:00 p.m. with the women's 1,500-meter run.
Other Grizzly men competing on Friday will be:
- 11:00 a.m. - High jump: Michael Tolds
- 2:05 p.m. - 110m hurdles prelims: Tard Smith Jr.
- 2:50 p.m. - 100m dash prelims: Travis Collins, Tavarius Wright
- 3:30 p.m. - 800m run prelims: Derrick Reid, Madison Edwards
- 4:05 p.m. - 200m dash prelims: Travis Collins, Tavarius Wright
- 5:25 p.m. - 4x400m relay prelims: Steven Simmons, Jameel Austin, Mario Thomas, Shaquan Woods